Our approach to fresh career thinking differs from the conventional one in a number of important ways:
- We understand that career development is a time for personal attention so all our work is one-to-one and specially tailored for each client.
- We draw on a rich library of qualitative and quantitative research, databases, profiles and reading material.
- We place great emphasis on coaching and mentoring: we are uncompromising with the depth, quality and coaching abilities of our team.
- We are a specialist career strategy firm working only with senior people. We do not provide recruitment or employee assistance services, or other broader organisational consulting.
- We have a reputation for being “thought leaders” in our specialist area. We are regularly asked to comment in the media. We also produce and publish our own research, insights and commentary on career development challenges.
- Our Reading Room is full of freely available material enabling client firms and other interested senior people to widen their insight into career management and development.
- Whilst our in-house career development programs are time-framed, our career transition services are open-ended because we are committed to staying the course with each individual. We generally do not have a time limit on our services, or a fixed number of sessions.
Our specially tailored approach with each individual takes into account:
- Their level of seniority, context and industry – we match people with a peer level consultant who will be their primary coach and mentor. Our consultants bring significant commercial expertise, coaching skills, energy, and access to Macfarlan Lane’s strong resources.
- The particular interests and needs of each individual – our consultants often draw on the complementary skills of their colleagues at Macfarlan Lane, and on our substantial ”toolkit” of reading, instruments, experience and research.
- In career transition services we consider a diverse range of future opportunities – we support career shifts to different sectors, different roles and a wide array of self-employment options, including winning directorships.
- Integration of support services where appropriate – we can access external experts in psychological profiling, financial and commercial advice, search firms, presentation skills, research, media advice, and IT support, if and when these services are appropriate.
- Need for us to stay the course – everyone we work with can be assured we will provide the coaching and mentoring they need until they have successfully secured the position or career change or development they wish for. One of Macfarlan Lane’s priorities is to work with agility and tenacity through the course of each journey, no matter how long this takes.